Marriage in Croatia

    To obtain the required documents persons wishing to get married in Croatia need to get in touch with the local Registry Office in the district where the intended marriage is to take place at least three months before the desired date.

    General documents required are:

    • A copy of a birth certificate issued within three months of the date of submission;
    • A valid passport;
    • A confirmation by each party of No Impediment to Marriage (nulla osta) issued by their respective domestic authorities. This is a confirmation that a party is free to enter into marriage, must show a name and citizenship of the intended marriage partners and ensures that a marriage in Croatia will be recognised as valid in the Japan.

    In certain circumstance additional paperwork may be required.

    All documents issued by the foreign authorities require to be sealed by an Apostille. For documents issued by the Japan authorities this is done at 


    These documents then have to be translated into Croatian and signed by a properly accredited translator and have a Certificate of Translation attached.