Stone GateThe Stone Gate is one of four gates (towers) in the walls surrounding the old Gradec. This is one of the best preserved monuments of old Zagreb, and its current appearance arose in 1760. The Stone Gate is best known as the Chapel of the Mother of God of the Stone Gate. The painting is a reminder of the past, and became particularly well know in 1731 when Zagreb suffered from a great fire. The story is that this painting of the Mother of God, which previously stood above the city gate, was found whole and undamaged in the midst of the fire and ash – only the frame was burnt. That same year, the painting was placed in this Baroque altar in the recess of the Stone Gate. The artistic, Baroque, wrought iron gate around the altar was created in 1778 by Zagreb master, Ivan Korta.